ORDERING OF DIETS / THERAPEUTIC DIET AND REFERENCE FOR DIETETIC ASSESSMENT
Ordering of a therapeutic diet initials a dietetic assessment of the patient’s nutritional needs. The following sequence of events should occur to initiate a therapeutic diet and dietetic review.
- Documentation in case notes by doctor involved with the patient requesting a normal diet / a therapeutic diet / enteral feeding formula / dietetic review.
- Patients’ Diet order using a standard form prepared by nurse in every ward on a daily basic sent to food service area, every morning (before 7.30 am).
- For Dietetic Assessment, a notification of the Dietitian for the ward by the nurse or doctor involved in the patients admission process, or Dietitian noticed himself / herself during morning round to check and verify diet order, so that if there is a need to, an assessment ca be undertaken as soon as possible.
- After assessing a patient (if there is a need to), the dietitian will;
- Check and verify diet order, and aware or update diet order list (both in ward & infant service area).
- Document the details of the nutrition care plan which includes Nutrition Assessment, Nutrition Diagnosis, Nutrition Intervention and Monitoring / Evaluation in the case-notes and Dietitian’s notes (MNT Record)
- Review which include nutrition monitoring and evaluation of the patient for education about modified diet, tolerance of modified diet, alterations etc.
Documentation will continue in the patient’s case-notes and dietitian’s notes (MNT record)
Notes: Prior to discharge, if the patient is assessed to require dietary education or revision, an appointment at the Dietetic Outpatient Clinic should be offered to the patient; the reason for the referral should be clear.